Joy of Quilts 2017

I went to the Quilt Guild of Greater Houston's quilt show... Joy of Quilts today.   It was a lovely show and I had a few quilts hanging with my name attached as my own or quilted by me.   A couple of these have not been blogged about yet so this is the first you will have seen them.

Let's just start with the best.   1st place!  Pieced Wallhanging - Large.   Lou Ellen Hassold's "Star Bright quilted by me!   Lou Ellen had a vision for this quilt and thankfully I was able to step up to the challenge.





 
 
 
2nd Place - Group Quilt - Pam Heine  Double 4 Patch.   This one makes me really happy as this is an e2e design.   I think our shows need to include a category for e2e quilts because they may be impecabbly pieced and have great color composition but if they are not quilted to death they lose points to those more elaborately quilted pieces.  
 


  

3rd Place - Modern - 5th Grade Primer - by ME!   I really did not expect to ribbon on this... it was a small practice piece - a challenge for our longarm group.   I decided at the last minute to enter this one because it is rather interesting.   Much to my surprise it ribboned!   There were 6 in the category too so it was not by default.  I'm happy about that.


 
 
Now I was rather hoping to maybe come in 3rd on this one...   This is my quilt "Gravity" which is considered a Block of the Month.   I don't understand why these have to be in a separate category.... and unfortunately this style quilt cannot compare to the detailed applique quilt  BOMS... and it appears that any applique trumps just pieced.   More points I suppose.   5 in that grouping and the 3 that ribboned all had applique, the 2 that did not ribbon... were only pieced.   I don't even understand why something labeled a BOM has to be separate.   I bought the pattern as a booklet... and the designer had 2 blocks a month for 9 months and a 10 month to assemble.  I pieced and quilted in 3 months. 
 
 
 
Lastly, Alice Sadeghpour  entered her Thankful Thanksgiving quilt in Mixed Technique - Large.   It did not ribbon either but it looked pretty hanging there.  I'm not sure what this show defined Mixed Technique as... but I call that category as having applique, piecing, maybe embroidery or painting... something with 3 or more distinct techniques that make it unique.  She has hand piecing, machine piecing and some panels used.   That's not really mixed JMHO.  Now on my end ... it WAS mixed LOL!    I used a combination of computer custom designs and some hand guided quilting too but that should not have dictated entry into this category.   Another odd thing, this show only splits Large Pieced quilts into 1 or 2 person quilts... everything else is judged together regardless if pieced or quilted by someone considered a professional or master or someone less skilled.  Probably because this guild has so much talent that it is pointless to try to separate!   Anyway...  here is Alice's quilt which also has not been blogged about by me.  She asked that I wait until after the show.
 


 
 
Fun show, many thanks to the guild and their volunteers for putting on yet another fantastic show.  You do not have to be a member to enter a quilt at this show which is held on the other side of Houston from me.
 
 
 
 

Comments

Nancy said…
Wow, Valerie! What a pleasure to see all of these quilts you made or had a part in. Outstanding work! Like you, I'd be very interested to know the reasoning behind BOM as a category in itself. If someone on a show committee shares that info, please pass it along on your blog. Curious. Our Gainesville guild had a panel of longarm quilters present last week and they shared some great info that longarmers would like quilters to know. I learned that they prefer horizontal seams in pieced backing vs. vertical ones, along with other tidbits like mark the top of the quilt as TOP if it's not clear and you have a preference and get rid of the stray threads. The seam direction was new to me. Maybe you could write a blog post about the preferences you have as a long arm quilter? Have a good week.