Robert Kaufman Challege - Gainesville Modern Quilt Guild

I finished my quilt last weekend and can finally share all the pictures with you of my quilt.   We were asked to create a modern quilt using a charm pack of Robert Kaufman kona solids.  Requirements were to interpret some architectural  design found in our home and create a quilt based on that design.   I chose to use the new bathroom tile for my inspiration.  I used only the charm pack, lots of RK Kona White, some pink from my stash for the faux piping and also backing from my stash.   I would have loved to had a new fabric for the backing that was from one of the gorgeous modern fabric lines but not enough yardage in my stash to get the backing and I just could not justify buying backing fabric for this quilt when I did have fabrics on hand that I could use.

One thing I learned, long diagonal quilting lines are difficult to obtain on the long arm!   I tried several ways to do this and just did not like my results.  Ended up frogging the entire thing and doing an edge to edge pantograph.   Not the look I wanted for this but maybe it was for the best.   After washing, the Kona white really became saggy, baggy, not so pretty.  If I had done that fairly open grid work that I had wanted, it would have made these awful puffy ballons in the open areas and I really would not have liked it.   I guess the batting shrunk lots more than the fabric?  I have a pic of the backing flipped to the front and the back is nice and flat but the front has so much crinkling that you can barely tell the quilting design.  Even after all these years, we still have surprises with our quilts!  All fabric on the front was not pre-washed, can't remember if back was pre-washed or not.  Batting used was Warm and White.


Backing nice and flat but front so saggy, baggy puffy that you can't tell the quilting design!

Faux piped binding -loving this new to me technique

focus area was the inspiration for my quilt

Comments

Laura said…
It's great! I know you can't see the details of the quilting, but I love the crinkling!
Nancy said…
Well done, Valerie. You've seen enough architectural elements with the remodeling, that the tile was probably an instant choice. Working with solids AND a theme is a challenge, and you met it well.