Lakeshore Sunrise - custom quilting

Carol did a splendid job of piecing this beautiful quilt and adding borders to make it bed sized for use in one of her guest bedrooms.   She selected the Quiltworx digital design for her Lakeshore Sunrise.  The fabrics are all cottons, not a batik in sight.  The colors remind me of early fall in Tennessee.

 

 
 




Some problems I encountered was that the digital design for this area was too large for my frame and I could not find a place to alter the design.   Sometimes you can split the design to break it down into small sections but this one runs back and forth over large areas instead of completing one feather curl at a time.  But as luck would have it, once I sized the outer border, it also was too long to stitch in "chunks" as I traveled down the frame.  Turning was a definite requirement for this quilt to stitch the outer borders and that big inner unit.

 


 
Photo taken as that design stitched.   the darker green area was stitched and you can see I could not split along the spine because it runs up one way then back the other, then back down to pick up the 3rd curl.
 
You see from tip to tip, this design is over 26"   My frame, for best calculations I estimate @ 21" quiltable area as I near the end of a large quilt and having my ruler base on the machine.

I love the way my Innova loads.  It's so easy to see if my edges are tracking straight.


 


Borders were added.   I used the border from Sunflower Illusions.  It was a great fit for Carol's outer border and matches the style of feather very well.   The 2 other borders I used a design called Shangri-La (love the leaves that match the border fabric) and a pearl circle border.




I used the variegated in the bobbin.   While I did not start out with 1 of those a full cone, I pretty much used up everything on it and a 2nd...  A full cone shown for reference for both colors used.  A lot of thread.   13 bobbins!
 
My workspace.  Where it all happens!  In the foreground is my handguided 22" Innova, in the background is my 26" Innova with Mach 3 Auto Pilot computer system.  Not a lot of space... but enough!
 
 
Thank you Carol for letting me quilt for you!   If you are interested in having me custom longarm quilt for you, check out my website HERE.
 
 
 
 



Comments