Lou Ann's Paradise in Blooms

You have seen this quilt top on my blog before here.  We are friends and part of a group we call "WWIT" or What Was I Thinking!  Another good friend is Denise Green of HollyDee Quilts, a CI for Judy Niemeyer patterns. We had a retreat to work on Paradise in Blooms, complete with Denise to teach individually as we had questions.  Of course Lou Ann shows up with all her components made, she just needs to set it all together at the retreat. Miss overachiever lol!
 
Lou Ann had a request to quilt this one over the top gorgeous and that's not hard to do when you start with something this beautiful to begin with.   I am so happy to report that this quilt took 1st in its category,  BEST OF SHOW,  and  received a National Quilting Association Award of excellence at our local quilt guild show this weekend!   We loved it but it is so awesome for your workmanship to be recognized by a judge and so many quilters visiting the show.  Thank you so much Lou Ann for allowing me to be a part of this!  And many thanks to all the volunteers that put on a fabulous show @ Conroe "Quilty Pleasures" quilt show this weekend.  Golden Needles Quilt Guild.   I'm a member of 3 guilds, and the past 2 shows I had the privilege to have quilted both BOS quilts - woohoo!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A few quilting details, only 1 batting was used, Quilters Dream Wool.  She really does intend for this to be displayed on a bed in her home.   Mostly Glide threads, completely stitched in the ditch with Monolon clear and Superior's smoke.   I really went back and forth on that one.  I lost track of bobbins but between Glide Delights and Glide Classics I'm guessing 30 bobbins of thread.  I know how many of the Delights, I just didn't track the classics and any self wound bobbins I used.  Freehand, some ruler work.   Only chalk was used when marking was required to sketch out lightly those spines in the petals and scrolls in the outer border.  Those spines were inspired by Karen McTavish's classic quilting styles.   I love her work!
 
We have another retreat coming up the end of the month.  Of course Miss Overachiever already has all her units completed and will be putting the top together at the retreat.   Me?   I'm still working on my Paridise in Blooms! 

Comments